So even though I haven’t posted much about it, I have been writing at any given opportunity. As I posted about over the weekend, I was torn between two names for my protagonist; my original creation was Greg Livermore. I was initially pleased with his name and thought it to be unique and solid. I started to have doubts about the name choice because a protagonist name should be strong and I didn’t feel Greg was strong enough.
So I thought about it and kept thinking about it and then I loaded up a Name Generator and eventually got Dale Ford as an alternative. It jumped out to me straight away. The name Dale Ford spoke to me. So I opened up my document and did a ‘Find & Replace’ on the name Greg and Livermore. Once Dale Ford had been added into the document, I saved it as a separate name as I still wasn’t convinced. So I have two working documents, one called Greg and one called Dale.
I decided to put it to vote on social media to see what people thought was the better name. I didn’t get much response on Facebook, Twitter or WordPress (or tumblr for that matter) but I did get 17 or 18 votes on my poll on Google+. Surprisingly, the vote was close and Dale Ford triumphed. So I am still working with two documents just changing the name in the respective documents where necessary until I decide on what name I want to settle on.
So my working documents are identical; aside from the name of my protagonist. I put down about 800 words over the weekend, bringing my total Word Count to just shy of 10,000 words. When I reach that total, it will be a milestone. If a novel is usually around 70,000 – 80,000 words then 10,000 will be 10-12%. That doesn’t sound like an awful lot but it is a good start.
I am pleased with what I have and I am proud that I have stuck to my task and got it done. I will be even more proud when I hit that milestone. And I will be sure to update you when it happens.
Happy Trails, until we meet again.